Tuesday, November 1, 2011

October/November 2011

After reading "Web Masters" by Joe Levit in the October 2011 Extreme Explorer's magazine, please choose one of the following to answer:

1
) A main idea is the most important idea.
Supporting details give more information about the main idea.

Pick a section of the story and identify the main idea for that section. Also
include two supporting details.

When answering, be sure to write the title of the section, the main idea in a
sentence, and two supporting details in a sentence.

2) Choose a spider you read about and explain how it uses silk.

3) If you could be any spider you read about, which one would you be and
why?

4) Make a connection to the text. (text to self, text to text, or text to world)


Directions for how to post a comment:
1.) Click on comments in the gray box below.
2.) A pop up box will appear.
3.) Type your comment.
4.) Click on the Name/URL tab below the comment box.
5.) Type in the Name slot only. --- Type your first name and the school you attend.
For Bryan type MEB
For Francis Howell Middle type FHMS
For Saeger type SMS
For Hollenbeck type HMS
For Barnwell type BW
6.) Click on Publish your comment.

160 comments:

terryMEB said...

A jumping spider uses it's silk as a escape route just in case it misses.

jacob m MEB said...

The Water Spider uses his silk under water to make a ball so he can breath.

JeremyMEB said...

The jumping spider uses its silk to escape after eating.

Taahirah MEB said...

The pirate spider.
A pirate spider uses it's silk by taking another spider's web to catch prey.

Anthony MEB said...

I think the pirate spider is cool because it steels other spiders pray and sometime it evn eats the spider itself. That is what I think is cool!

Dijai MEB said...

The Trapdoor spider uses it's silk to spin a trapdoor. by digging a burrow in the dirt.Then it spins a door for the entrance.

Shawn MEB said...

The pirate spider uses other spiders silk to catch and eat its prey:-)!

Ryan MEB said...

A pirate spider uses other spiders silk to catch their prey.

nate MEB said...

The trapdoor spider uses silk like a trapdoor to cach it's prey.

Kirsten S MEB said...

I am doing number 2, The Trapdoor spider builds a door with silk and jumps down and cachs it pray.

shawn MEB said...

Funnels and Nets! The main idea is how 3 spiders use webs! The details are "The spider eats the web and spins a new one." and "The spider uses trip lines to catch and eat it's prey." and "it uses a web net to catch its prey."

Hershel MEB said...

The pirate spider uses other spider webs to get their prey and that is how a pirate spider get their prey:)

Cierra MEB said...

A tarantula uses its silk to make a tripline and when the tripline moves the tarantula feels it attacks its prey.

terryMeb said...

World of Spiders.The main idea is the habits and the looks of many spiders.One detail is"you can find them in many habits...".Another detail is "their skelelon is on the outside."

Hershel MEB said...

Funnels and nests.
The main idea is how spiders useing nest to catch prey.
The text states"...,a beetle or small lizard and hits trip line and spider grab bug".
The text states"When an insect flies by,the spider throwsit's web at insect."

Dalton S. MEB said...

My favorite spider is the water spider because it uses there silk to create an air bubble under water to catch under water bugs practicly.

Dalton S. MEB said...

Sticky or dry

The main idea is the certain silks of spiders. The texts say '' a third kind of silk is stiff''. The texts say '' a spideralso spins a dry silk''.

Cameron and Taahirah said...

Funnels and Nets.

The main idea, is how spiders use there web. The text states " They are called trip lines. They snaged there feet of passing animals." The text states "When the insects fly by the spider trows ts web..."

Anthony/JeremyMEB said...

WORLD OF SPIDERS

The main idea is the spiders habitat and looks. The text states ''you can find them in many habitats ...'' The text states '' spiders come in many sizes.''

Dylan MEB said...

The Pirate Spider doesn't use it's silk to catch it's prey instead the Pirate Spider Use It's Prey for attacking.

Mrs. O'Keefe said...

3. If I could be any of the spiders I would be the water spider. The bubble he creates allows him to go below the water to hunt safely. It would be like being in my own submarine!

Bridget MEB said...

2. The spider that I am going to talk about is thetrapdoor spider. The trapdoor spider uses its silk to bulid a trapdoor go that fly get in the silk.

jacobmeb said...

3. If I could be any spider it would be the Funnel web spider. The silk is spined into a tornado and it looks cool.

Bridget MEB said...

3. The spider that I would like to be is none of them but if I had to be one I that I would like to be a water spider. I love the water and that is where they get their food.

Jacob MEB said...

(text to self) The Funnel web spiders makes its silt into the shape of a funnel. It makes me think of a tornado because it is in the shape of a tornado

AlexusFHMS said...

The Pirate spider uses its silk to make a web, but not just one web it connects its web to another spiders web. Then it plucks the others spiders web so it vibration, so now the spider thinks a fly or a bug got stuck. The pirate spider hides and waits for the other spider to come out, ones the spider comes out it attacks the spider. So that’s way the pirate spider uses it silks web

AlexusFHMS said...

Mrs.O'Keefe: I would like to be that spider to because it would be cool to have ur own submarine

Ryan FHM said...

I like the pirate spider and it does not use silk it goes onto a different spiders web and it vibrats the web and the spider attacks the spoider.

Brooke MEB said...

The Water Spider uses It silk to spin Into a ball so that It can breath underwater

Luke FHMS said...

Dylan MEB I thout that whas cool to.

Luke FHMS said...

My favorite kind of spider would half to be the Pirate spider.

BrittneyFHMS said...

If I could be any spider I would want to be a water spider because I would be able to breath under water and could hunt saftly.

taylorfhms said...

Living With Spiders
This section was about what spiter do for the earth yet they still can hurt people with there poison they are still a bug help with eating other bugs.

taylorfhms said...

nat meb
i think that is really cool :)

ruslan@fhms said...

If I were any spider I would choose to be a turantula because I would be the biggest of all the other spiders and I would be the strongest one around.

arron FHMS said...

if could be a spider i will choose a water spider because it creates a air bubble under water to get fish and tadpols and it will look cool under water

megan fhms said...

i would be a pirate spider cause it is relly intersting to know how they get away with taking outher spiders silk and tricking outher spiders to come out of there homes and then the pirate spider attacks and eats the spider .

Kirsten s MEB said...

If I was a spider I would be the Trapdoor Spider,because you could jump done and scare a person.

Shawn MEB said...

I would be a pirate spider because I would have more stradiges on catching my prey!

nate MEB said...

if I could be a spider i would be a trapdoor spider cause the trapdoor spider trap it's prey.

Ryan MEB said...

The main idea is the spider's habitat and it's looks. "Don't live in the ocean or vere cold places." All spiders are invertebrates."

shelbyfhms said...

If i was to be any spider i would want to be a Tarantula because it is easier to hunt your prey. I would also would be this spider because most tranchulas can blend in with other things around them which makes more easier to hunt there prey and to hold it and kill it with its fangs and also there not deadly and they dont hurt humans.

terryMEB said...

The I would a jumping spider because it uses it silk in a cool way.It would be nice to have that type of experience.

Cierra MEB said...

Silky or Dry.
The main idea is the kinds of webs that spiders make and how they are used.The text says "spiders can spin up to seven different kinds of silk."the text also says "The fly just sticks to stickey webs."

Hershel MEB said...

I would like to be the pirate spider for a day, because they are so cool cause they use other spider webs to get their prey, and I think that is so cool about the pirate spider.

shelbyfhms said...

Anthony MEB

I agree the pirate spider is preety cool but if you were to be a spider thats not in the artical what would it be.

jacob M MEB said...

Spider Supper
The main idea is spiders kiling different animals the text says"some Spiders hunt mice,frogs,fish,or even birds the text says"when shes ready to eat,the Spider squrits special juices from her stomach into the moth.

daltonfhm said...

i would be a spider i would be a trapdoor.Becaus theyare very sneaky about how they catch there prey.

dalton fhms said...

megan fhms pirate spiders are cool i would like to be one to.

BrennanFHMS said...

I would be a tarantula because there are big spiders and they look sweet.

BrennanFHMS said...

Cierra MEB i want to be the same thing.

lkoncki@fhms said...

The spider that i would want to be is the jumping spider,because it would be fun to jump around and try to catch the prey.

lkoncki@fhms said...

natmed
I think its really cool!!!

BriannaFHMS said...

bolas make a web between two twiges spining the web upside down head first then gives off a sent to attrack moths

BriannaFHMS said...

Terry MLB: That is so cool how they do that.

Jeremy MEB said...

I would like to be a Tarantula because it makes a trap line

CameronMEB said...

I think it would be cool to be a jumpng spider. So when I want I can jump realy high. When I get hungry I jump down and grab a bite but, if I miss I can jump back and climb back up for safty.

Anthony G. MEB said...

If I could be a spider I
would be a Crab Spider because
it can blend in with a flower or
plant.

Dalton S. MEB said...

I would be the water spider because they can make air bubbles under water and catch theyre prey by doing that.

Taahirah MEB said...

If I was a spider I would be a trapdoor spider. THe reason why I would want to be a trapdoor spider is because I can use someone elses silk and catch prey.

AnthonyMEB said...

I think the pirate spider is cool.But why would it steal other spieders silk an webs?

Ryan FHM said...

Hershel MEB, I'm with you because I would like to be a pirte spider too for a day.

KelsayFHMS said...

Dalton S. MEB I think its cool that the spider a spin dry silk.

MitchellFHMS said...

A tarantula uses ots silk to make trip wires. The trip wires tell the spider if any prey has came by. Then the spider attackes it and has dinner.

MitchellFHMS said...

Ryan MEB i think its cool how they do that!

chaseFHMS said...

The one spider that i would wont to be is the Pirate spider because I think its cool that i highjacks some other spiders web and thats how it catches it prey.

BrittneyFHMS said...

Anthony,I think that a pirate spider is cool also.

chaseFHMS said...

Dalton s from MEB i think it is cool to that the water spider builds a air bubble so it can breath under water but I still think the Pirate Spider is the best!!!!!

Joel FHMS said...

the drapdoor spider uses its silk by making a trap and catching its pray

Talon said...

Jacob MEB: Dont you think that the water spider is realy smart for useing it's silk for a diving mask baskily

Joel FHMS said...

taahirah i do think that would be cool to uses somebody elses silk

madison FHMS said...

if i could be any spider i would be a trapdoor because i like the way the chach there prey.

Olivia FHMS said...

Question 2:
If I could be any spider from the article I think I would be the Water spider. I would be the water spider because I think it is super cool that they can blow a bubble out of there silk and then get inside and go underwater and breath and wait until there pray comes up.

madison FHMS said...

megan FHMS i was thinking aboud being a pirate spider because of how they get there food to its relly cool.

Olivia FHMS said...

Bridget-MEB
I 100% agree with you :)

megan fhms said...

me to i relly like the pirate spider cause i is relly a cool spider and sneaky

kaitlinFHMS said...

i think the tarantula is cool, and why is it so big? its the size of your hand!

kaitlinFHMS said...

megan FHMS i really like the pirate spider too!

nickfhms said...

trapdoor: because you get to have a door that you get to hide behind

nickfhms said...

anthonymeb i like your question but it eates other spiders

mikeFHMS said...

If i could be any spider i would be a pirate spider because there sneaky and have a cool way to use silk.

mikeFHMS said...

dalton s. MEB: i agree the water spider is cool but i like the pirate better

loganfhms said...

if i could be any spider it would be the tarantula bc i would be the strongest spider

devon jones FHMS said...

I would be the pirate spider because it is sneaky Agree with megan

RyleeFHMS said...

If I was a spiter I would read all about myself

RyleeFHMS said...

You are right Megan i would also love to be a pirate spiter too. For the same reason just like yours...

Cyle SMS said...

If I could be a spider I would be a wolf spider,because he or she has no problem with webs they run around catching enemy bug or other spider he or she can catch.

SMS Myiah said...

I would be a priate spider because i would love to thrill stealing webs. from sriders it would be fun.

brad SMS said...

brad SMS
im am makeing a text to self my friend as a tarantula.its a big spider

ciailynsms said...

i would want to be a pirate spider becase i would want to shot silk and it would be cool to make the webs

AMBERSMS said...

I love tarantulas :)

andrewsms said...

The tarantula is a poisionis spider that sucks the blood out of its prey.

Desiree Sms said...

I like the Pirate spiders because they trick a differnt spider by acting like a bug and then they eat that spider and take there web.

jaysonsms said...

Desiree sms I also like the pirate spider because it steals other spiders webs.

emi sms said...

I like the trap door because it waits for prey to come by and grabs the prey

Kevin FHMS said...

The spider I chose was the jumping spider. It uses its silk to jump to a flower but if it mieses it can clime to safty.

Veronica SMS said...

I wouldn't want to be a spider, Because people always kill them and everybody would be scared of me.

coreysms said...

i would hate to be a spider, everyone would hate you. and try to kill you

Kyle19SMS said...

I Think the crab spidr is kind of cool for hiding in a flower and waiting for its prey to come to the plant to catch the fly.Another reason its cool, is its camouflage to pertect it self to stay safe and good for catching prey.

alyssafhms said...

I want to be the funnel spider because its hide then its pop out to get there prey

JoshSMS said...

Pirate Spiders Steal's Other Spiders Webs And Eat's The Spider.

MyaSms said...

I love the Water Spider it uses it's silk by making a silk ball around its self and goes under water catching prey i think thats so... cool! thats my favorite spider!

yamilex sms said...

i never like spider i always hated them. but i think that the trapdoor sriders where really cool because they seem really tricky.
ps. i still hate spiders.

abbyfhms said...

a brown spiter sits on a twig then its spins a strong line of sailk. a sticky blob from the ends of it thats hoe the brown spiter spens it web.

abbyfhms said...

to shawn meb i agery that the piret spiter spent a silk web but how does the spiter spens it wab

Alex H.FHMS said...

A funnel spider uses its silk to make a funnel to hide in and to catch insects by making trip lines on the funnel so when an insect trips on the line, the spider feels the vibrations and then it runs up and eats the insect.

Alex H.FHMS said...

yamilex sms: I hate spiders too.

matt FHMS said...

I would be a jumping spider.I think it would be really cool to be a "jumping spider" because it would be fun to jump all over the place.

matt fhms said...

Jacob from MEB, I 100% agree with you it would be soooo fun.

tiffany said...

fhm)The spider i chose is a funnel spider.A funnel spider uses silk by they spin silk trip lines.The trip line snages the preys feet. Soon an animal coms crawing in and then the animal stumbles the spider feels a jerk and theres the dinner for the spider.

tiffany said...

fhm)The spider i chose is a funnel spider.A funnel spider uses silk by they spin silk trip lines.The trip line snages the preys feet. Soon an animal coms crawing in and then the animal stumbles the spider feels a jerk and theres the dinner for the spider.

Mariafhms said...

If I was a spider I would be a Pirate spider because it eat anything it want.Also if a sipder already spin his web all I would have to wait for the prey and sneak and get the prey.That Why I would be a Pirate spider.

Mariafhms said...

Dylan MEB the Priate spider sneaks up onto another spider web because it does not spin it on web.Also it does not attack it prey it eat it prey when it get it.

hunterfhms said...

Hunter fhms The way spiders use silk for makeing webs and they can trap their food because the silk is not onley strong but stcky to.

shaniafhm said...

The main iead of the web Master is how different spiters live,hunt, and use theie web.The way they use their web is their lives. without their webs they wouldn't be able to cauch their food or form their home.

hunterfhms said...

jeremy meb that is cool tawlk abought a get away. hunter fhms.

shaniaFhm said...

ShawnMeb yaeh but they use their we for somthin eles what are those resons?

gilbert fhms said...

tarantula usis its silk to cach pray.

Tiffany said...

FHM)MYA SMS)I agree that the water spider is cool,becouse it makes a silk ball around its self,But i would disagree that the water spider was my favorite spider,Becouse i dislike all spiders.

jordan FHMS said...

a trapdoor spider usis it silk by making a door with silk and the mspider waits for its prey and then when the spider get cought it atack.

Eli FHMS said...

If I was any kind of spider in the world it would be a trantula because there top dog there the bigest spider.

Eli FHMS said...

Dalton Seb you are right water spiders are great.

brandon fhms said...

i would be a bufflo beacause it the biggest spider in the world.
and some one discovered it when they thought there was decoration
but it was the a actual spider.
then the lady ran screaming and
called animal control they turn to
scientist then they gave it a name
buffalo spider. that is the spider
i want to be.

brandon fhms said...

mya sms you want to know what esles about the water spider is that they create a air bubble and they useds as air tanksa so they can catch prey under water

brandon fhms said...

mya sms you want to know what esles about the water spider is that they create a air bubble and they useds as air tanksa so they can catch prey under water

Addison fhms said...

I Would be a Crabspider becuase they use camouflage.

victoriafhms said...

i would be a crad spider because it uses camouflage to hunt its prey. it hides on plant thats awsome.

victoriafhms said...

Mrs.O'keefe that would be cool to have a sudmire

Addison FHMS said...

I would be a Crab spider because I like the way they can use camouflage to hide from preditors.

Haileyhms said...

If I could be any Spider that I read about I would be the Jumping Spider because it can jump long distances .

loganhms said...

One time i saw a black spider and it looked very scary and i did not like it and when i saw the spider in the book and fliped out cause it look JUST like the one i saw in person long legs scary eyes and hairy...AND SCARY

trevorhms said...

if i could be any spider i would be a jumping spider because it would be fun to be able to jump 14 times the length of my body

loganhms said...

Jeremy MEB said...
I would like to be a Tarantula because it makes a trap line

same because terantulas are cool and awesome and i like them

karahms said...

how spiders use their silk. the funnel spider uses its silk by making a funnel web and whats in side the web for its prey to come. the funnel spider also spins a thin line of silk that stretches away from the entrance. the thin lines are called a trip line.when the lines get triped the funnel spider goes and gets its prey. then the funnel spider has get its prey and now has dinner.

lynseyhms said...

The water spider uses its silk to make a ball to stick its head in so it can breath underwater and to catch its prey.

alexhms said...

If I could be any spider that I read about: I would be a 'Wolf Spider' because they run fast, and have a good disguise. It would be fun to be a Wolf Spider because I would be able to catch my prey quickly, before it got away.

alexhms said...

jacob m MEB said...
The Water Spider uses his silk under water to make a ball so he can breath.

I would have to disagree, They don't go completely underwater.
He makes a silkball and sits half in and half out while he waits to pull in the prey. Spiders can't breath underwater.

MatthewHMS said...

A Pirate spider doesn't use silk. The Pirate spider invades other webs. Then it plucks the threads which tricks the owner of the web. When the other spider comes to see what it caught the Pirate spider attacks.

haleyhms said...

the bolas spider spins a strong line of silk with a sticky blob on the end of it. next she gives off a smell that smells good to a male moth. then she swings the sticky blob until it hits the moth. then she eats her pray.

mattisonHms said...

The water spider swims and dives for its prey but like all spiders it can't breathe under water. It makes a little bubble like a ball in the water it surrounds its head and it attaches to a plant under water and the spider uses tiney hairs on its legs to trap air bubbles.

Talon W. said...

Taahirah MEB I agree with u the pirate spider is pretty cool because. It uses it's slik as a trip wire.

lee hms said...

i would be a funnel spider because they are an interesting spider and i like the way they use their silk.

joeyhms said...

If I could be a spider I would be a water spider because it would be cool to go underwater in a bubble, and still breathe and hunt.

kelly hms said...

If i was a spider i would be the pirate spider because,instead of using it's own web it takes others webs and uses them.the pirate is a tricker they trick other spiders and attacks them. the pirate is a smart spider to me. that is why i would want to be a pirate spider if i was a spider.

makennahms said...

If you could be any spider you read about, which one would you be and
why?

If I could be any spider that I read about It would have to be the Orb Weaver's. I would want to be the Ord Weaver because It seems like a really cool spider, and It sounds really tough In the passge that I read about It in.

paulhms said...

I could be an wolf spider because it chases it's prey down. The wolf spider runs 2 feet per second that is cool.

DylanHms said...

The Jumping Spider uses its silk by when it sees food it starts making a dragline so if the spider were to miss its prey it can use its dragline to start climbing back to safety.

MatthewHMS said...

The pirate spider uses other spiders silk. It vibrates the web, so it can trick its web owner. When the prey comes out the pirate spider eats its prey.

daylinhms said...

The funnel spider uses its silk by making a funnel like web and has silk trailing behind them. Once the feet of passing animals snag on the spider jumps out of the funnel and eats the animal.

makennahms said...

chaseFHMS said...
Dalton s from MEB i think it is cool to that the water spider builds a air bubble so it can breath under water but I still think the Pirate Spider is the best!!!!!

I also agree with you, the water spider is cool and very neat but the pirate spider is best!

DylanHms said...

brandon fhms said...
i would be a bufflo beacause it the biggest spider in the world.
and some one discovered it when they thought there was decoration
but it was the a actual spider.
then the lady ran screaming and
called animal control they turn to
scientist then they gave it a name
buffalo spider. that is the spider
i want to be.


I Agree With you i would like to be a Buffalo Spider cause its so big and i could almost overpower any other insects and some animals.

paulhms said...

brandon fhms said...
mya sms you want to know what esles about the water spider is that they create a air bubble and they useds as air tanksa so they can catch prey under water

hey i think the water spider is so cool to. I was going to comment on the water spider too but i did not know what the spider was called but now i do.

MatthewHMS said...

Mrs. O'Keefe said...
3. If I could be any of the spiders I would be the water spider. The bubble he creates allows him to go below the water to hunt safely. It would be like being in my own submarine!

I think it would be cool to be the water spider, because you can go on water or land.

daylinhms said...

Taahirah MEB said...
The pirate spider.
A pirate spider uses it's silk by taking another spider's web to catch prey.

I think that the pirate spider is a awesome spider because its a ninja. It takes other spiders webs and to me that is very awesome.

Savanna SMS said...

If I Could be any spider to read about the spider would be a water spider because of how they stay on water.

AmberSMS said...

A tarantula spins trip lines.

AddieSms said...

@desireesms I like the pirate spider to because they trick other spiders. but I dont really like spiders

maddysms said...

i like the tarantulas because there so colorful and cool and because i love all diffrent colors and i think it cool how they make trip-lines to catch there prey

SamSMS said...

i like the pirate spider because it uses other spiders silk to catch its prey

Addison FHMS said...

If I could be any spider I would be a Crab Spider because I like the way is changes colors. The Crab Spider can camouflage itself when predators are near.