Thursday, July 21, 2011

WELCOME to the 2011 - 2012 FHSD Middle School Reading Blog!

Choose at least one prompt below and post a comment.

  • What is your favorite reading memory from childhood?
  • What is one book you think all middle schoolers should read?
  • What type of books do you prefer to read? Why?
  • If a book was written about your life, what is one event it should include?
  • What is one reading tip you would give to others that has been helpful for you?
  • Which book character is most like you?

Directions for how to post a comment:
1.) Click on comments in the gray box below.
2.) A pop up box will appear.
3.) Type your comment.
4.) Click on the Name/URL tab below the comment box.
5.) Type in the Name slot only. --- Type your first name and the school you attend.
      For Bryan type MEB
      For Francis Howell Middle type FHMS
      For Saeger type SMS
      For Hollenbeck type HMS
      For Barnwell type BW
6.) Click on Publish your comment.

125 comments:

Mrs. McKay said...

I prefer to read realistic or historical fiction. I like to learn about different times in history and other people's experiences through these stories.

Mrs. McGinley said...

The books that I like to read are books that have sad endings. Life doesn't always turn out perfect, and I think that our best lessons are learned from our mistakes. My favorite book that I have read recently is the Hunger Games. I highly recommend all books in this series!

Mrs. Durso HMS said...

Something that has helped me over the years when it comes to reading is making sure that I am in an environment that has no distractions. That way I can focus on reading and understanding what I am reading.

Mrs. O'Keefe said...

My favorite reading memory was in the third grade. Mrs. Sullivan would read funny poems from WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS to us after recess each day. That is the year I decided I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up! I keep a copy of that book on my desk as a reminder.

Ms. Jorel said...

One book I think all middle schoolers should read is Freak the Mighty. This book is about two boys who are really different and they become friends. Each boy has different strengths and they work together to overcome obstacles. If you like adventure stories, read this book!

victoria fhms said...

the type of books i prefer is scary storys and mysteries because there really good and they get u asking questions on what is going to happend.

victoria fhms said...

mrs.durso from hms i agree with you that is very help full to me because you dont want to be in a enviorment where people are talking and wont stop talking you want to be where it is silent and no distractions

AlexusFHMS said...

My fav types of book r scary because i love gosht and scary things.

williamsj fhms said...

all middle schoolers should read all scary deep dark and dangerouse

williamsj fhms said...

what do you like read and mrs durso from hms

TiffanyFHMS said...

I think every one should read Shark Girl. I think they should becouse its a realy good book, and alot of people like Shark Girl

talon said...

My faverit childhood book is the three little pigs it just made me laugh and always put me to sleep.

Talon W. said...

Mrs. Durso HMS: I agree with you I need a place to read quiet and have no desertions so I can under stand the book I am reading

Olivia FHMS said...

My favortie book from my childhood was and still is "Olivia the Pig". I still love these book because my name is Olivia and they are so cute and cute to read.

arron fhms said...

The book dairy of a wimpy kid a kid name Greg is like me he has to live with two brothers Manny, and Roderick. In real life I have to live with my sister’s amber and Arielle.

ruslan said...

Tony Hawk is just like me because i like to skateboard.

MikeFHMS said...

I prefer books that make me laugh.Such as dairy of a wimpy kid,I have read all of the books two times.

alyssa fhms said...

i like to read chapter books.

LukeFhms said...

My favorite kind of books to read are mistory books.

abby fhms said...

i think fhds should deep dark and dangres its a good mistery

logan FHMS said...

I prefer sports books because I play basketball and I am around them all the time.

Brennan FHMS said...

I think all middle schools should read mark twain books.

BriannaFHMS said...

my favorite reading memory from my childhood is reading with my mom

SHELBY FHMS said...

THE BOOKS I PERFER TO READ ARE VAMPIRE BOOKS BECAUSE I LOVE TO LEARN ABOUT THEN DURING THE OLD TIMES.

devon fhms said...

my favoriet reading memorie i read a book about shaun white

AlexFHMS said...

The character that is just like me is Greg from Diary of a Wimpy Kid because he goes to middle school just like me and he is the same age as me!

AlexFHMS said...

Ms.Jorel: that sounds like a really good book.

rachel moss said...

If i had to write any book about my life I would choose to write about, How many times I have moved. Because its been twelve times that is allot.

rachel moss said...

mrs.Durso: Yes i have to read with no distractions or else i will not be focused on what im reading.

JESSICAFHMS said...

The one book that every middle student should read is The Tale Of Desperaux. i pick that book because it has a good meaning to it and it is a mistery. Also it is a amazing/perfect book.
YOU SHOULD READ IT YOU WOULD LIKE IT!!!!!

MitchellFHMS said...

My favorite book from when I was a child was dr. seuss.

gilbert fhms said...

the booked that is like me is sewer rats. they like to go paintballing and go in the woods.

Eli FHMS said...

my faviorte books are sport books and deep dark and dangerouse i love anything that has action in it.

Eli FHMS said...

Mrs.Durso:what is your faviorte book

kaitlin FHMS said...

my favorite book as a child was green eggs and ham and the grinch who stole christmas and other dr.suess books

Dalton FHMS said...

My favorite reading memory from childhood is junie b jones.

lauren FHMS said...

One reading tip that would be easy is to skip over words that you dont know and then go back to then when your finished reading.

Taylor fhms said...

The type of book i prefer to read it fiction because i like how they entertain me and how they can be funny or how they can be scary ect.
What i also like about fiction is that they are just more fun to read.

Ms. Jorel SMS said...

Alex FHMS- It is a good book. You should read it this year. Then we can talk about it.

Ms. Jorel SMS said...

Brianna FHMS- I remember reading with my mom too. Did you have a favorite book that you read together?

Ryan FHMS said...

I perfer to read mystery because they are good to slove.

AmberSMS said...

The one reading tip i would give is if you cant pronounce a word skip it and come back, or read the sentence over and, see if it makes sense.

matt FHMS said...

I perfer reading biographys because they can be very inspirational and life learned lesson to the reader.

andrewsms said...

My favorite book is Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He is a middleschooler that is not popular. He has two brothers Rodrick and manny rodick is the brother that is mean. I would really enjoy reading this.

desiree SMS said...

If a book was written about my life, what is one event it should include? Well the book should include that I was adopted and that my gym teacher was my foster dad and that I have never seen him in 11 years, and that now I am living with a great family and that now I have like 6 step brothers, and I have 1 step dad and mom and dad who love me. Now that is what I would include in a book about my life.

AmberSMS said...

AlexFHMS- In Diary of a wimpy kid, Greg is like me because, He is the same age as me too. and, he is in middle school.

Kelsay FHMS said...

One book I think all middle schoolers should read is Abduction.

Ms. Jorel SMS said...

Tiffany FHMS- I have not heard of this book before. What is Shark Girl about?

brittneyFHMS said...

my favorite book I like to read are
anventure bookes because I love travling to far away places.

Joel FHMS said...

the book i like to read are scary books and mystery books because you never know what is going to happen next.

addieSMS said...

I prefer you to read Runaway Twin. Its about this girl named Sunny. She lives with a foster mom named Reda.Sunny has a sister and they got separated. So Sunny went to go find her and went everywhere she thought her sister Starr went.Then she found this fog and she named it Snickers.Next she got to this house and Starr was there and sunny was so excited. sunny tried to tell Starr bout everything they did together and she didn't remember. Then Sunny called Reda and Sunny got to go home and bring Snickers.

addieSMS said...

My favorite reading memory was my mom would read a princess book and I loved it.

jaysonsms said...

the book I prefer to read the books Dairy of a wimpy kid why because it looks like a real dairy and it is kind of funny.

addieSMS said...

If a book was written about my life I would want to be about my party's and fun stuff I do. Like Christmas at my uncles and more.

chase said...

ChaseFHMS My favorite reading memory was when my mom and i read Where The Wild Things Are.

hunter fhms said...

The kind of books I like to read are hockey books. The reason why I like to read hockey books is because I like hockey and I always want to learn more.

Ms. Jorel SMS said...

Mitchell FHMS- Which Dr. Seuss book is your favorite and why?

Addison fhms said...

sound out the letters. If you sound out the letters in the book it will help you better.

Alex 5hr fhms said...

my favorite I read in my childhood was the FOOT BOOK

Sam SMS said...

Ms. Durso HMS- I like the room to be quite too when I am reading. If not, I cannot concentrate.

Mya Sms said...

The books i perfer to read are mystery,horror,fantasy,nonfiction, fiction,action/adventure.

Sam SMS said...

The book that I think all middle schools should read are Truman Books Like the Hunger Games

joshSMS said...

My favorite book was Diary of a Wimpy kid it was such a funny book i Liked the fact that it was about middle school being a nightmare But i would think High school would be a nightmare

Mya Sms said...

Kelsay fhms
i read abduction and i think everyone should read it too its by peg kheret i read it in 5th grade so i may not remeber the characters but a little boy gets kidnapped from his elementry school and i think his sister goes after him and tries to look for him. it's a really good book!

Gabby SMS said...

Abby fhms- I think everyone should read deep dark and dangorous too. It a really good book with a good mystery.

Mya Sms said...

One book I think all middle schoolers should read is The Hunger Games its about a girl named Katniss Everdeen in district 11 facing to get food for her sister and mother and district. this book is adventure and action if you liked the hunger games like me i think you should read the secound one catching fire!

joshSMS said...

matt FHSM:I Like biography books to beacuse they talk about how and what the person did in his life and inspire people

Gabby SMS said...

My favorite kind of book is horror.

yamilex sms said...

my favorite types of books are mysteries. I like them because they are better than the other ones. I like not knowing what is going to happen.

CyleSMS said...

Ithank that all middle schools should read the HUNGER GAMES!!!!

cailyn sms said...

my favirot book to read is the searet garden because it a myster book and myster are my favirot kind of books .

Myiah SMS said...

One book all middle schoolers should read is if we kiss it is romanticand funny and if you like drama read this book.

Bradley SMS said...

I think all middle schoolers should read freak the mighty because its about two boy and they go every were with each other.

Bradley SMS said...

Kaitlin,my favorite book is green eggs and ham to.

cailyn sms said...

victoria fhms i agree with i love myster book they are my favirot kind of book.

Myiah SMS said...

shelby BW i agree i love reading with my mom too

AmberSMS said...

AddieSMS- I read Runaway twin itts really good.

AmberSMS said...

I think all sixth graders should read stolen children its an awesome book!!

Desiree SMS said...

Amber SMS - I think that greg is just like me too because I am in middle school too and I have and older brother just like greg does in the book Dairy Of a Wimpy Kid.

Kamber FHMS said...

A book that I think middle schoolers would like is The Last Thing I Can Remeber. For me most books I don't want to read, but this book keeps you reading.

kevin fhms said...

My favreit types of books are sports books I like the saspnce what well whapen next.

addieSMS said...

MyaSms-what is a good horror book i wanna read one?

addieSMS said...

One reading tip is if your stuck on a word sound it out and if u don't get do it again.

addieSMS said...

A book character is most like me is Starr from runaway Twin because i wouldn't remember things when i was little because it was such a long time ago.

jaysonsms said...

I think all middle school students should read dairy of a wimpy kid

Mary SMS said...

my favorit reading memory from my childhood was the Dr.Seuss books because when i was little I had a very wiled imagination so i couldn't find a book that i would like because some of them they were to boring and some had words i couldn't understand but when i read the Dr.Seuss books i loved them beacuse every thing in it was funny, colorful, and exciting to me so i never stoped reading them.

Kyle19 sms said...

MikeFHMS what else do you like about diary of a wimpy kid?

Bresms said...

My favorite book is Wicked. Because it reminds me of The Wizard Oz.

Aaliyah FHMS said...

The one book I think all middle school's sould read is "THE OUTSIDERS"Written by S.E. Hinton is because it tell you about to diffence sides of neiberhoods one of the neiberhoods had everything there hearts desider and these kids where called the Socs short for Socials. And the other neiberhood was not all that perfect and the kids there didn't get everything there hearts desidered so they had to work hard for everything and didn't get everything hand to them and they were called the "Greasers".And the Greasers always thinks that the Socs have no idea what they go throuth and in the middle or close to the end the Greasers get a big surprize.

maddysms said...

a great book for seventh graders to read is wenny has wing it about a boys littel sister gets hit in a car reck and she dies

MyiahSMS said...

Shelby FHMS you and i have somthing in common i think peopel should read vampire books because it gets your boold pump faster and you get this felling that you are the book like newmoon when they were running it makes me fell like good.

Myiah SMS said...

One of my all time book freak the mighty because it is a real life promble

andrewsms said...

The type of books i love is scary books like goosebumps and i also like funny books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid

Desiree SMS said...

The charter like me would be superman because I save the life of kids and people by reading. Beside reading save lives

AmberSMS said...

My favorite series is Diary of a wimpy kid.

AmberSMS said...

Mine would be scooby doo because he always is scared to do things and he likes scooby snacks, i like snacks too!!

Ms. Jorel said...

Andrew SMS- Why do you like scary stories?

Ms. Jorel said...

Amber SMS- Why is Stolen Children a good book? Why should people read it?

Dylan MEB said...

The type of books I like to read are sport books and adventure books because I am in love with sports and being adventurous.

marcus MEB said...

I prefer scary books. I love it when the book doesn't have an ending and makes you think what happens,and what is next.

Dylan MEB said...

Eli FHMS What is your favorite sport to read about?

marcus MEB said...

Amber SMS- Which Diry of a wimpy kid series?

Mary said...

the types of books i prefer to read
is mystery books because People have a tendency to like to try and figure things out for themselves like me. Mysteries get the brain working.For myself I like to read a mystery for a couple of reasons, one is that they usually involve clues that you have to put together like a puzzle and i dont want to stop intill all the pieces are together.

maddy sms said...

wenny has wings is a great book for all seventh graders to read its about a boys littel sister get hit in a car crash a die and some how the right letter back and forth

Mrs. O'Keefe said...

Ms. Jorel - I also recommend Freak the Mighty! I liked that both boys had what they thought was a weakness, but together it turned out to be a strength!

KRISTEN MEB said...

All middle schoolers should read Curious George.

JACOB MEB said...

I like to read books about sports like baseball,football,and basketball. I am reading a book right now that is called All The Broken Pieces. You should read this book it is a really good book.

Bridget MEB said...

My favorite childhood memory is when I was not old enough to read and my grandma read to me. We would read Dr.Suess and Curious George.Those were my favorite books.

Daniel MEB said...

The book that all middle schools should read is Scooby Doo.

MaddisonFHMS said...

If a book was writen about my life I think the event that they should add is that I had ADD ever since I was eight.

Myiah SMS said...

Marcus MEB i fell the same way but half of the time i relly dont care cause it is all ways fun to have a ending

sarah sms said...

The book all middle schools should read is Walk Two Moons because it got a Newberry medal award.

Cierra MEB said...

I recommend a book series that I read the books are called ZooBreak, Swindle and Framed. The authers name is Gordan Korman

CaylaMEB said...

I love to have a book that has a thriller.I think if you like thriller books you should read The Last Thing I Remmber.

jacob m med said...

The book all midlle schools should read is The Last Thing I Remember.Its about a man named Charlie who went to sleep and wakes up tied to a chair and he is bleeding and he is running away becaues he was a sleep for one year.

terrymeb said...

The books I prefer are action books because you never know what happens.That's why I like action books.

MyaSMS said...

addie:SMS
2 good horror books i read are "Wait til hellen comes" about this girl named molly shes the oldest then her brother micheal and their mom jean. Jean married dave and dave has his daughter Heather so thats micheal and molly's stepsister Heather always sticks close to dave and no one else during the book. and when her dad and mom are gone heather always sneaks out into the graveyard (forgot to say they bought a church looking house or a chruch and are living in it.) molly and heather and a micheal i think are trying to put hellen to rest its really good everyone reading should read this!
and the other one is Scary stories in the dark its kinda scary one part almost made me sick they are talking about like the ghost that says wheres my thumb I kinda got creeped by some other ones read these to find out what happens oh and the "Wait til hellen comes" is based on a movie! I didn't know til today. I have more horror books but this is all for now! hope this helps.

SamSMS said...

loganfhms- I like to read sports books to like Baseball and sometimes Football

Kirsten MEB said...

My reaction was surprised when I read one in 20 people drink 4 cans of soda each day.

CyleSMS said...

I remember reading I SPY with my mom and dad.

MyaSms said...

AddieSms one good horror book i love well there's two the ghosts grave by peg kharet its so good i forgot the character's name cause i read it 2 years ago but its a boy that has to help a ghost be put to rest i'd read the book to learn more.... anyway book 2 is wait til helen comes i dont know why i remember this book but its awesome! oh yeah its by mary downing hahn my favorite horror author its about a girl named molly living with her little step sister heather and molly's brother micheal they move in a church with their mom and step dad and its a church house they move in ever since they moved there heather kept going in the graveyard talking to someone named hellen molly seems very suspicious and later spys on molly read these book for chills and thrills!

MyaSms said...

AddieSms one good horror book i love well there's two the ghosts grave by peg kharet its so good i forgot the character's name cause i read it 2 years ago but its a boy that has to help a ghost be put to rest i'd read the book to learn more.... anyway book 2 is wait til helen comes i dont know why i remember this book but its awesome! oh yeah its by mary downing hahn my favorite horror author its about a girl named molly living with her little step sister heather and molly's brother micheal they move in a church with their mom and step dad and its a church house they move in ever since they moved there heather kept going in the graveyard talking to someone named hellen molly seems very suspicious and later spys on molly read these book for chills and thrills!

Dijai MEB said...

Fly away homes - the main idea is babies learn to build nest.1 "The baby spiders let go of grass they soar. That is called ballooning". 2"when they land it's time to spin a web".

JoshSMS said...

I Like The Pirate Spider How It Steal's The Other Spider's Nest And Kill's The Spider Too.

JoshSMS said...

I Like The Pirate Spider How It Steal's The Other Spider's Nest And Kill's The Spider Too.