Tuesday, February 7, 2012

February 2012

1. Read this article: http://tweentribune.com/content/homeless-science-whiz-gets-50000-scholarship

After reading, contribute to one of the following posts...


1. What connections can you make to this article? (text to text, text to self, text to world). Share one of those connections.




2. Write a one sentence summary that deals with problem/solution. Use the following format to complete your post: ________________wanted, but ________________, so___________________.




3. Pick one word from the story that you are unfamiliar with and use context clues to figure out the meaning. Write the unfamiliar word, the definition, and the context clues that helped you figure out the meaning.



4. What reactions did you have while reading this article? Share them!

78 comments:

MitchellFHMS said...

4. one of my biggest reactions from the story was that even though she was homeless and had to worry about the next day, she still did her best and that enspires me to do my best in life.

matt fhms said...

I made a text to text connection after reading the story Homeless science wiz gets 500 scholarship. I made a connection to the movie "8 Mile" both stories are inspiratioal events, and proves anyone can do anything.

Talon .W said...

I can make a conection text to self I won a contest in my house and I won $20.00 it was fun

Mariafhms said...

Samantha Garvey wanted to go to college, but she was forced out of her home, so she has to work twice as hard as any human being to go to college and steal get a house, clothese, and food to keep herself an alive.

MikeFHMS said...

1.-text to world-Samantha was named one of 300 semifinalist and the Denver Bronco's made it to the playoffs.

shelbyfhms said...

One connection i had with this story was when me and my sister were little are family did not have alot of money for christmas so the next day the fire department brought us toys/gifts because we did not have the funds that year.

AlexusFHMS said...

When I was reading this Article I had some reactions, one was one I heard she was homeless and won a $50,000 scholarship in a science contest I was thinking Gravey was really smart, then one I heard she study 2years about the mussel population my reaction was she must really want to win this. I really want to know what scholarship shes going to go to.

Tiffanyfhms said...

Ractions;Some reactions i had was wow that Garvey has not given up on her life she has gone farther becouse she wants to be a marine bioligist.Another reaction is that the people who live in a homeless shelter can fix there life, if garvey could win any one can win a scholorship for college.

mitchellFHMS said...

another reaction was that it must be awesome to go on the Ellen show and get a scholarship check

Ryan FHMS said...

Word: aspiring Meaning:wants to Context Clues: marine biologist, and national attention.

BrittneyFHMS said...

I made a connection text to text because I read a book call "I Cant Belive It".It is about a girl who was really poor but then became rich.

fhmschase said...

chase fhms one of my reactions i had was i wonder how hard it is to be homeless

taylorfhms said...

The connection i made was text to world.When samantha won a 50,000 dollar scholarship of her choice I remember when you would see on the news the people that won money from like powerball or something them have receive a lot of money like samantha did.:)

FHMSMaddison said...

4. I couldn't belive that she won the $50,000 award when she won

brucefhms said...

4 years ago i was in a shelter with abused women in warren county

BriannaFHMS said...

One connection that I made when I wad reading the story is a text to world. Samantha Gravey and her family on New Years Eve were forced to move out of there house but many people everyday are forced to move out of there house just like Samantha and her family.

Brennan fhm said...

I have a text to text connection in the story it said garvey was homeless in the movie 8 mile the main character was like homeless to.

lkoncki@fhms said...

A word that I didnt know was Aspiring, which means, to have a great ambition; desire strongly. Some context cluses were national attention.

abbyfhms said...

My reations to this article was i wad supersed that she was homeless in high school and won a scolershep. I was thankful that she got jift cards and $5,000 for aney thing she wanted.

MitchellFHMS said...

chaseFHMS i agree. I seriously wonder what its like to be homeless

FHMS Maddison said...

Abby- I agree that it was a shock

Bridget MEB said...

#2- Samantha Garveywanted to go to college, but her and her parents lost their house and they were homeless, so she had to enter a science contest to win some money.

Kelsay FHMS said...

A reaction I had while reading this article was I can't believe a homeless girl won all this money for a science contest. She never gave up on this goal. Another reaction was I can't believe she studied 2 years on her subject for this contest.

JACOBL MEB said...

(Text to World) Samantha Garvey was homeless and she didnt have a house to live in. There are a lot of homeless people in down town St.Louis

Adam MEB said...

I had a connection to the article one time I won a contest and got 20dollars.

Bridget MEB said...

Reaction- My reaction to the story was a little different at first I was sad that they were homeless but then I found out about every thing eles I started to get happy.

Daniel MEB said...

Samantha Garvey wanted to go to college,but she didn't have any money,so she is in a Science fair,and Samantha could win alot of money,$100,000,.

KristenMEB said...

(text to text)In the story Samantha Garvey was homeless an in a movie called 8mile he was poor an homeless.

Adam MEB said...

I had wow reaction to the articl when she won the the contest

Daniel MEB said...

My reaction of this article was when Samantha Garvey was in the Scince Fair at the college and could win alot of money.

FHMSchase said...

Maddison i couldnt bealeave either that she won 50,ooo dollers either

Dylan MEB said...

4. I felt sad because see was a home less teenage girl that was trying to win frist place for a schloarship.

Brooke MEB said...

4.My reactions that I had while reading this article is that even thow she is homeless she still entered the science contes.Also she talght me to never back down from what I am doing and dont ever give up.

Dylan MEB said...

1.tw-alot of people have been homeless so Samantha Garvey isnt alone.

makayla MEB said...

4 what reactions did you have while reading this article?

i was sad because she was homeless and her parents didn't have alot of money .

i was happy because she got gift cards and money for winner the rafel for the sience comption.

MikeFHMS said...

mitchellfhms:I agree it would be awesome to go on the Ellen show and get a scolarship check

brucefhms said...

brittneyfhms that is just like the story that we read about

BriannaFHMS said...

Brucefhm that is so sad that happened to you. But i’m also happy you have a happy loveing home now!!!!!!!

Ryan FHMS said...

Dylan MEB yeah there are a lot of people who are homeless but they do not have a chance to win $100,000 from a contest

matt fhms said...

Broke MEB- I firmly agree with your reaction. The story is truely inspiring, and can change anyone point of view.

Kelsay FHMS said...

Makayla MEB- I had the same reactions as you!

Talon .W said...

Maddison FHMS: I can not belive she won $50,000 to

Talon .W said...

Maddison FHMS: I can not belive she won $50,000 to

lukeFHMS said...

I can make atext to self coment when i whas12 i won 50$ in a NFL bet.

Olivia FHMS said...

One word that I was unfamiliar with was aspiring. I have found out that it means disire strongly.

Alyssa fhms said...

4.WOW I did not know all those things happen.

Alyssa fhms said...

Abby I agree i am happy that she got a scholarship.

laurenfhms said...

Maddisonfhms- I agree with you that it was shocking.

abbyfhms said...

I know what prestigious means after reading the ardcal it meanes the highest oner

RyleeFHMS said...

the reactions that i had while reading this article is that she was homeless and she got a scholarship for 50,000 dollars.

RyleeFHMS said...

abbyfhms: i totally agree with you that she is homeless and goes to high school and that she won a scholarship.

bfinchfhms said...

yes i agree with ryans fhms in my article that my class is reading. it were a girl samantha gravey was poor and she could not afford college but she won money off a tv show some people cant even do that. so just be nice to the poor from all over the world

kaitlinFHMS said...

i have a world to text with justin bieber and samantha, just bieber was homeless just like samntha and then justin bieber has a talent...samntha was homeless and also has a talent!

TaylorFHMS said...

Bridget med ~i felt the same way when i read the story. i was sad that she was homeless but then when i read the rest i was happy for her to win all that money!

Eli FHMS said...

Im making a text to world because ive been to manny science fair.

Eli FHMS said...

Adam MEB I was to shock when she won the contest.

madi FHMS said...

text to self/ someone i know:
samantha gravey went on the Ellen show like my friend shania w.

NickFHMS said...

I felt bad for the homeless people.I was shocked that samantha Garvey got a $50,000 scholarship.

NickFHMS said...

adam meb i agree i was shocked

ADDISONFHMS said...

I WAS HAPPY THAT THE GRIL WON ALOT OF STUFF!

ADDISONFHMS said...

I WAS SHOCKED WHEN THE GRIL WON THE CONTEST!

DALTON FHMS said...

I CANT BELIVE THAT SEH WON A 50000 DOLLAR SCOLARSHIP PLUS 5000 DOLLARS TO J.C.PENNY PLUS THE 1000 FOR HOLE FOODS

FHMS Logan Bush said...

Some reactions i had were...

-I couldnt believe she got $50,000 for wining a science contest.

-I was happy for the girl when she got the scholarship.

JESSICA FHMS said...

I chose to do number 4:
This story is very inspiring to me becuase even though she had struggles at home ( being homeless and everything)she always did her best. That just makes my want to be thankfull for everything that i have and not be unthankkful for what i dotn have. Also se inspires me to do the best that i can do at everything like school. I think that her story is so inspiering and that everybody needs to read it.

AlexH.FHM said...

When I read when Samatha Garvey was on the Ellen talk show, my reaction was that my mom watches the Ellen talk show.

BrittneyFHMS said...

Adam MED:I also had wow reactions when Samantha Garvey won the contest.

BrittneyFHMS said...

Adam MED:I also had wow reactions when Samanths Garvey won the contest.

FHMSkamber said...

One big reaction I had is the fact that is homeless and won a scholarship that big! Anther one is that the contest is helping her with scholarships to schools and living space.

Olivia FHMS said...

Bridget MED-
I had the same reaction to the story as you. :)

ruslanfhms said...

One of my connections is that one time when i was at my sister's school for a family night and i played musical chairs and i won four times.

shania fhms said...

The artical is tetx to self because when I was five I went on the Ellen show to sing it was fun from the part I remeber.

arronfhms said...

one of my reactions i was suprise that she got a $ 5,000 to jc penny and a scholarship from AT&T

addisonfhms said...

I was excited that the gril won alot of stuff!and the gril was happy!

Jordanfhms said...

Talon what kind of contest was it.

TIFFANYFHMS said...

MakaylaMEB)I agree it was very sad that she was homeless.I was allso happy that she got gift cards to i would do the same and give homeless people gift cards

arronfhms said...

madisonFHMS:i can,t belive she won to

Aaliyah fhms said...

My reaction was i can't believe that she got a reward of 50,000 dollars and now she can support her family and still go to the school of her choice and i think that,that is cool,what she is doing for her and her family all of this because she won a science contest i am happy for her.

aaliyahfhms said...

I agree with Jessica we should all be greatfull for what we have and don't complain that we don't have things that we really want sometimes we have to think about others.